A Seine River cruise, considered by many as the most romantic and treasured cruises, takes you by breathtaking and historic sites in Paris, such as the famous Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and the Notre Dame Cathedral. Boat tours can take an hour or longer, depending on the cruise line and whether you choose a day or evening tour. Many tours offer lunch or dinner, guided or recorded narration, and shows. Year-round boat tours are available, but the best cruises are during the warmer months of May through September. Several companies specialize in cruises along the Seine River.
Attractions along a Seine River Cruise
Most cruise lines feature similar itineraries and curve along the Seine River past the following historical sites:
- The Grand Palais – This 1900 Belle-Epoque styled building houses several art galleries and museums.
- Pont Alexandre II – One of the most famous and ornamental bridges, this 1896 bridge spans the entire Seine River.
- Hotel des Invalides – Built in 1676, the barracks and its grounds are home to several museums (including a military war museum), the Royal Chapel, and the Church Saint-Louis.
- Assemblee Nationale – The French National Assembly sits in this 18th century building.
- Musee d’Orsay – This popular Paris art museum is housed in a grand 1900’s train station.
- Musee du Louvre – One of the most visited art museums in the world, it houses the famous Mona Lisa painting.
- La Tour Eiffel – The Eiffel Tower is a landmark of Paris and built for the 1889 Paris Exhibition.
- Notre Dame Cathedral – The well-known 13th French Gothic church features sculpture and stained glass. It is an active Catholic Church.
The design of the tour boat, called bateaux-mouche, is a long boat with glass-covered decks. Its shape is uniquely designed to navigate shallow rivers and canals. With overwhelming popularity in these tourist cruises over the years, the name bateaux-mouche now refers to any tourist vessel on the Seine. On most boats, you have a choice of sitting inside or outside on the deck. You can also choose to have a narrated tour with English or French speaking guides (or with recorded narration).
A Seine River Cruise is a relaxed way to see the sights of Paris
As one of the most famous waterways of the world, the 486-mile Seine River is a must-see destination. Choose a Seine river cruise, and you’ll have the best seat of Paris; viewing historic sites while you relax in the beauty of the winding Seine River and its gorgeous Paris landmarks.
Ready to book your Seine River Cruise? (View available tour packages)